Re: Selling Items on VL

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 18:48:43 EST

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 22:45:45 GMT, you wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Im feeling a little vahclimped. Discuss amongst youselves. I'll give you a
>tahpic.....
>I understand the consensus that this list could go haywire if FS posts are
>allowed, but I for one kind of miss them. Can't we have some sort of
>compromise on this issue? Like maybe 1 day a month when we can list items
>for sale? Otherwise, they just all go to eBay and minimise one of the
>benefits of being on this list. Comments?

A benefit of being on this list is *not* being spammed! Not the
opposite.

What is there to miss? It's not like you can't go to the net and find
things for sale (RGVAC, RGVAM, eBay, Yahoo, Buy.com, etc).

This list has a large subscription rate because of the very high S/N
ratio (very few, if any adds).

RGVAC was once like this, a great place to go for technical advice.

I'm under the belief that if the FS posts had stayed off of RGVAC,
vectorlist would never have become as popular as it has. I for one
only read RGVAC occasionally now (through a huge FS/FA/ETC filter),
where once I followed it daily. Too noisy.

This would be an interesting experiment. Let's say vectorlist allows
adds, I then start a new mailing list (vectorlist++ or something), all
I do is repost all messages from vectorlist, excluding adds. (And of
course it would accept direct posts that were not advertisements.)

How many would leave vectorlist and go to vectorlist++?

One of the reasons vectorlist is popular is the lack of adds. Of
course one of the things most attractive to a seller is popularity.

If someone here is really itchin' to advertise, just go post it on
RGVAC, wasn't that what the RGVAC/RGVAM fight was all about? Or will
we have to just keep running from spam by starting YASFML (Yet Another
Spam Free Mailing List.)

-Zonn