Re: Monitor Discharging

From: Al Warner <batlzone_at_cyberenet.net>
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 10:56:33 EST

I guess I should respond because I wrote the original "Cap Kit Install Doc"
(with help).

The charge is the spark that jumps between and it is dissipated at that
point. Every reference I found when doing this research (Randy Fromm, Bob
Roberts, and even the Galaga manual) said that the chassis frame was the
ground point and that the monitor should be completely disconnected. Since
I've never seen any adverse affects from this procedure and is the standard
way it has been done on TVs since the beginning, I feel it is the proper way.
I have friends that use only a piece of wire, personally, I use a screwdriver
with a wire soldered to it with a spring clamp at the end.

Where I understand this fellow's logic, there is no wrtten documentation
(besides his) to support it. I'm sure I can supply additional sources if
there is any additional question.

-Al-

PS - The first monitor I discharged was a 19V2000 for my Battlezone and I was
sweatin' bullets! The thing had been off for 2 weeks so there was no spark.
I felt like I hadn't gotten my reward for my fear.

saint wrote:

> I had understood, and I am uncertain if this applies equally to vector and
> raster monitors (meaning I hope I'm on topic! :) ) that when discharging a
> monitor quickly, you go from annode to monitor chassis. I believe in fact
> someone was quite adamant that you *not* go from annode to a ground in the
> wall.
>
> I ran across this site that takes completely the opposite point of view:
> http://www3.50megs.com/todd1814/capkit/capkit.htm
>
> It also goes on that discharging to the chassis is a good way to fry your
> PCB.
>
> Anyone in the know care to comment? Is this web site correct, or grossly
> in error?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --- saint

-=               Al Warner batlzone@cyberenet.net                    =-
-= Learn how to install a Cap Kit in your video game's monitor and   =-
-= see a whole lot more on my web page at:                           =-
-=               http://www.cyberenet.net/~batlzone                  =-