RE: Monitor Discharging

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 13:08:02 EST

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, John Butler wrote:

> I agree. I had a monitor apart the other night, and then put it back
> together and saw the shock as I got the Anode cup near the monitor. This

Wow. In my recent fixing of the Wells in my Space Duel, I must have taken
the HV cage out 20-30 times in one night alone. When I started I discharged
the tube each time, but there was no charge in it to being with -- let alone
when I put the cage back in. I'll admit that by the end of the debug
session I got lazy and stoped bothering to discharge it -- a VERY STUPID
THING TO DO -- I know.

I seem to recall reading that these monitors had an auto-discharge feature ?
In all the monitors I've worked on in the last few years (Asteroids, BZ, and
Wells color XY), I've never had one actually arc when I went to discharge
it. I usually put a HV probe on the anode before taking off the cup.

Since this seems to be different than what people are reporting, am I just
lucky, doing something very wrong, or is there a difference in the situation
that I'm missing ?

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/