Re: Monitor Discharging

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 13:15:43 EST

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Doug Jefferys wrote:

> A side effect of rule #1, by the way, is that if you end up with
> a shock that causes your hand to clench up onto whatever is causing
> the problem, you *may* have enough presence of mind to pull your
> hand out of your back pocket and slap your clenched hand away.

Well if we are talking about a live connection that is likely to continue,
as opposed to a single discharge, pulling the plug is usually the prefered
option.

However when it's absolutly necessary to tinker with something turned on (as
in, you can't tell anything usefull with it off, such as convergance), there
is always they method we used back in college for working on the old light
dimmers: "Here's a 2x4 -- if you see me start to shake, smack me away from
the console with it".

My wife really loved it the first time I told her that one. :-)

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/