Re: Monitor Discharging

From: Al Warner <batlzone_at_cyberenet.net>
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 16:45:52 EST

If I read Rodger's explaination right, the tube would still be discharged, but the
damage it would do to other devices plugged in the wall could be fatal. As long as
you dont become part of the discharge, no pain should occur. I also agree that the
amount of current being discharged is substantial, but it would drain quite quickly.
After it drained you would stop receiving the charge. So the chance of sustained
damage to you is minimal unless you had a pacemaker or had a heart problem.
Obviously, you do NOT want to take this charge, but the chance it would kill you would
be low. My document attempts to scare the user to the point of extreme caution. It
gets less thrilling everytime you do it, but a little caution always helps. Also, if
you're going to do a lot of these things it would be a good idea to make / buy a tool
for it. Bob Roberts sells a "Large Screwdriver with a well insulated wire soldered to
it and a large spring clamp on the other end of the wire". You can obviously make
these yourself. Mine has come in handy over and over (you guys with pinball machines
will find even more uses for it) for discharging. Good to have around.

-Al-

saint wrote:

> I think this is an excellent discussion to be added to your docs - I
> understand monitors better than I did now, I think.
>
> One question though - I want to refer people to that person's web site for
> different portions of the site - but I'm reluctant to do so if that
> particular page on his site is dangerous. It seems to me that his method,
> after listening to everyone, might damage your electronics - does it pose
> any health risk to the individual attempting his method?
>
> --- saint
> Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
> http://www.arcadecontrols.speedhost.com

-=               Al Warner batlzone@cyberenet.net                    =-
-= Learn how to install a Cap Kit in your video game's monitor and   =-
-= see a whole lot more on my web page at:                           =-
-=               http://www.cyberenet.net/~batlzone                  =-