Re: Bad monitor discharge instructions

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 01:42:01 EST

Current is voltage divided by resistance. So 20 kV into a short is one hell of a
lot of current for a very short time. Into 20 kohms you would initially have 1 amp
decaying exponentially to zero. Assuming 2000 pF of capacitance and 20 kohms you
would have a time constant of 40 uS. So every 40 microseconds the voltage and
current will decrease by about 67 %. It never actually gets to zero, but for all
practical purposes it is assumed to be zero after 5 time constants (200
microseconds, in this example).

Your reading was based on the response time of whatever meter you were using. I
wouldn't be trying that with a digital meter if you will be needing to use it
again, there is a very real danger of blowing out parts.

--
Windows:
32 bit graphical interface for a