Re: AM6012 DAC replacement (Tempest)???

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 11:43:49 EST

        I didn't see that anyone replied to this message, but I could be
wrong, so if this is redundant info, sue me... :)

        The Tempest schematics show the board with both the 3410s and the
6012s. So, for all intents and purposes, the MC3410 is a replacement for
the 6012, in Atari Color Vector boards. As far as I know, all of the
boards have the "option" to be populated with MC3410s (and there are some
other circuit differences.)

        I don't think MC3410s arereally any easier to find them AM6012s,
I'm afraid...

Joe

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Noel Johnson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was just looking over some of my non-working Tempest boards and I
> found one that doesn't have AM6012 dac's. Instead of the AM6012 dacs at
> locations A10 and F10 on the main board, those slots are unpopulated and
> there are two MC3410CL motorola chips at locations B10 and E10. The
> motorola chips are 16 pin, with a gold top and legs, whereas the
> AM6012's on my other boards are 20 pin. The rest of the chips in this
> section of the board appear identical to my other boards. Might these
> motorola chips be a replacement for the AM6012's on my other boards? I
> am hoping that they might be easier to find and cheaper. Per review of
> Philips website the MC3410C series are 10-bit Multiplying
> Digital-to-Analog Converters. Anyone care to comment?
>
> Thanks/Happy Holidays!
>
> Noel

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760