Re: AM6012 DAC replacement (Tempest)???

From: Noel Johnson <nej2001_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 12:10:05 EST

> I didn't see that anyone replied to this message,
> but I could be
> wrong, so if this is redundant info, sue me... :)
> The Tempest schematics show the board with both the
> 3410s and the
> 6012s. So, for all intents and purposes, the MC3410
> is a replacement for
> the 6012, in Atari Color Vector boards. As far as I
> know, all of the
> boards have the "option" to be populated with
> MC3410s (and there are some
> other circuit differences.)
>
> I don't think MC3410s arereally any easier to find
> them AM6012s,
> I'm afraid...
>
> Joe

Thanks Joe for the response! I have learned a little
more since I posted that message. After researching
possible replacements for the AM6012PC I concluded
that Analog Device's DAC312 might be a drop in
replacement at a cost of around $6.50 to $8.00 per
chip. The DAC312 is a currently manufactured chip.
Then I did a web search for "DAC312" and I got the
arcade schematics/data sheets page on www.spies.com as
a hit... Doh!

http://www.spies.com/arcade/schematics/DataSheets/dac312.pdf

Per Spies it also appears that a drop in replacement
for the MC3410 is Analog Device's AD561.

Has anyone successfully used the either the DAC312 or
AD561 on a Tempest board?

Thanks,
Noel