Re: Tempest on top as we go into the new millennium

From: Eric Clayberg <clayberg_at_smalltalksystems.com>
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 13:36:21 EST

>A quick check of VAPS this morning showed that Tempest finished 1999, the
>decade, the century and the millennium at the top of the "top collected
>game" statistics.

In fact, if you discount the "board only" collections, Tempest is ahead by
a *wide* margin. If VAPS would add an extra field that capture multiple
hits per game per collector, I would guess that Tempest would be even more
dramatically ahead of the pack. I know of quite a few folks who have
multiple Tempests in their collection (i.e., different cab styles) and VAPS
does not capture this.

>Not surprisingly, Ms. Pacman has been hot on the heels of
>Tempest during 1998/1999.

Although ranked on the basis of dedicated cabs only, Ms.Pac isn't even
close! :-)

>Will 2000 be the year that the last storefront arcade closes? For years
>now, vector games have been relegated to collector's basement arcades. In
>fact, there's so few vector games out there, I'll bet that we could catalog
>all of vector cabinets available to the general population in storefront
>arcades and family entertainment centers.

It's been done to a great extent already:

        http://www.classicgaming.com/locations/index.html

Here's a list of know Tempests, for example:

        http://www.classicgaming.com/locations/Tempest.html

If you know of other locations, please submit them here:

        http://www.classicgaming.com/locations/submit.html