RE: Tempest on top as we go into the new millennium

From: Ozdemir, Steven S, GOVMK <sozdemir_at_att.com>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 11:18:43 EST

G'day Al and folks,

Tempest's place as the VAPS's all-time top game won't be secure while vector
parts continue to become scarcer with every passing year. A universal
vector monitor would go along way towards revitalizing collecting vector
games. Then the new bottleneck would become the number of Tempest PCBs out
there.

I don't know if my FPGA suggestion for replacing Cinematronics PCB's would
carry over to Tempest's PCB (minus the AVG and sound sections).
Cinematronics motherboards have the advantage of a purely digital interface.

            Steve Ozdemir
            sozdemir@att.com

ps - A translator PCB for some of the 190 Space Duel/Gravitar/Black Widow
cabinets in VAPS would go along way towards increasing the number of Tempest
(board only) owners in VAPS. I doubt there'd be any legal problems with
this, and the translator PCB wouldn't cost that much to make. VAPS searches
indicate about 100 of these 190 owners don't have Tempest...see you can do
market research with VAPS (without spamming the owners to gauge interest)
before you take the leap and pour money into a translator PCB project.

(I'm assuming that the translator PCB would swap the X and Y outputs so that
vertical Tempest could be played on a horizontal monitor. Thankfully, Atari
sent XINV out to the edge connector for Tempest, so playing with it in the
translator PCB wouldn't be difficult if this is required.)