Re: Compare Amplifone and WG?

From: Joel Rosenzweig <Joel_Rosenzweig_at_Agilent.com>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 13:46:26 EST

I'll provide a few details, others can fill in the rest.

The Ampliphone monitor uses a higher resolution tube than the WG. The dot
pitch is finer. As a result, an Ampliphone display looks spectacular
compared with the WG because the vectors are so crisp and thin. By
comparison, the vectors on a WG look less sharply focussed. Though, it's
more than that, because it's not a focus issue. It's sort of like the
difference between a VGA display and a CGA display (though, not as big a
difference between the two vector monitors.) Let's say that after putting an
Ampliphone into my Tempest as a test one afternoon, I was awestruck, and I
wanted to put Ampliphones into all my vector games.

The deflection boards / low voltage power supplies of the Ampliphone are
presumably more reliable than the original equipment WG. The WG low voltage
supplies used to suffer failures with great frequency (at least in my own
collection and experience) until the LV2000 came out. :-)

Anyway, those are the details I have learned first hand. BTW, before I
owned an Ampliphone, I had a WG in my Star Wars machine. I was absolutely
BLOWN away when I swapped an Ampliphone in there. You really need to see
one to understand.

Joel-