RE: Compare Amplifone and WG?

From: Noel Johnson <nej2001_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 14:27:56 EST

> Not trying to be difficult here, but I'm sure I read
> someone on the
> vectorlist say (within the past month) that the
> Ampliphone's can't handle
> the death star explosion. And I read where someone
> else said that their
> Ampliphone lasted like 3 games in Star Wars. What
> gives? Also, what about
> the blue and red chassis stuff?
>
> Joe

You may be referring to my posts awhile back about a
blue HV PCB with an original red flyback on it. I
hadn't installed a cap kit yet and was asking about
the "blooming" that I noticed during the deathstar
explosion. According to Michael Kelley and a few
others, it was not recommended to use and original
blue (ie, first revision) HV PCB with a red flyback in
Star Wars. This combo was still deemed suitable for a
Quantum because that game did not stress the monitor
as much. However, if a replacement flyback is used
(on a blue, green, or beige colored PCB) such as a
Wintron or Penn Tran (forerunner to Wintron), then no
reliability problems should be encountered during
deathstar explosion. (It's a good idea to cap/upgrade
the HV's in accordance with MK's article on
Gamearchive) I am using a Penn Tran on a green PCB in
my SW upright now and the picture is simply gorgeous!!
:-)

Noel