Re: various vector...

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 13:12:46 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Clay Cowgill wrote:

> 5) Anyone need to buy a working/complete Star Wars boardset? I have
> several at $150/ea. (I need the space for "prooduction" more than extra
> Star Wars boardsets...)

        Chalk this up to a really bad day (see my post on RGVAC,) but
I need to comment on this. There should be NO commerce on
vectorlist. Already, one other person has emailed me saying that he also
has Star Wars boards that he'd like to sell (he'd even beat Clay's
price,) but hasn't posted them for sale to the vectorlist, out of respect
for the no commerce policy. Fairness dictates that, in a situation like
this, I allow this person to post those boards for sale (why should one
person be allowed to post them, but not others?) but allowing anyone
who has Star Wars boards for sale to post them is in direct conflict with
the spirit of the vectorlist: No commerce, technical discussions about
vector-based arcade games. This puts me in an awkward place.

        Hence, although the "official" policy hasn't changed (i.e. NO for
sale posts) enforcement of the policy will. In the past, commerce has
been tolerated, but no more. Certain commerce-related posts WILL be
tolerated, for example:

        - Repro/Remake stuff for vector-based games only. All Clay's
vector kits qualify, all vector game CP overlays qualify, etc. (Repro
stuff for raster-based games will be tolerated on rasterlist.)
        - Extroadinary (sp) vector finds up for sale. If you have to ask
if it's extroadinary (sp) it isn't. Example: Zektor is extroadinary
(sp), Star Trek or Tempest isn't. One rule of thumb might be, if it's
vector and appears in the list of rare titles on www.vaps.org, it's
good. Else, it belongs on eBay or RGVAC, or offered in private email.

        The following actions may be taken against the "offender:"

        - For those that blatantly and repeatedly violate the policy, they
may be bounced from the list. You will be notified if you're bounced from
the list (I think we still have that problem where if your email bounces,
the listproc automatically subscribes you. If you find yourself
unsubscribed one day, with no notice, it's because of THAT, not because we
bounced you from the list.)
        - We're still talking about moderating the list, and if it ever
does become moderated, we'll just kill the post, and notify the poster.

        I hate to waste people's time with policy crap, but I think
maintaining the quality of the list is important. It is my opinion that
the reason for the failure of lists like the arcade list was because its
quality wasn't maintained (Example: During the short time I was
subscribed, someone asked what the ultimate power supply for a game might
be. One person answered "Jesus is the ultimate power supply," and went on
to give some religious schpiel. Give me a break!)

        As usual, please voice all your opinions of this to me and/or Paul
in email.

Joe