Re: Quantum fix

From: Al Warner <batlzone_at_cyberenet.net>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 22:26:43 EST

When Steve brought his two boards over to test them in my Star Wars last weekend,
the HV board was dead, but the deflection board was working fine. There was no HV
whatsoever until he fixed it today. I'd guess that he has a board problem, but we
may be testing the monitor boards again, just to be sure.

-Al-

jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Steven Zeuner wrote:
>
> > I had some success today in getting the amplifone monitor HV unit working.
> > I wanted to post this cause I really don't know the direct fix. I had
> > gotten to the point where I put in a new Wintron flyback, capped the board.
> > New regulators, 3904's, replaced the W1 jumper. I also ordered some
> > SK3199's just in case.
> >
> > What I finally did was in one swoop replaced the red mystery can, the driver
> > transformer assy (why? Who knows...there was nothing left!), and the 555
> > oscillator chip.
> >
> > I now have heater voltage and a nice spot killer. Boiard repair is up next.
>
> ...and you have HV, I assume? (You can do the "Do the hairs on the
> back of my hand stand up when I put it near the CRT" test to see if you
> have HV.)
>
> > The board simply plays blind and trips the spot killer.
>
> Are you sure it's the board? It could be the deflection board. I
> forget if you said that you had a tested good anything in there. It DOES
> seem like your HV board is working fine, though (assuming you have HV.)
>
> The board playing blind and tripping the spot killer USUALLY means
> that there is some problem in the AVG section of the board. If you have
> access to a scope, get it, because this is one of the few times a scope is
> REALLY useful for board repair (in my experience.) First, try to play the
> game on the scope (oh yeah, the scope should have X and Y inputs) and you
> might be able to see which part of the AVG circuitry is causing the
> problem (i.e. vertical or horizontal.) Then, you need to trace through
> that AVG circuit with the scope and see where your waveform disappears (I
> usually compare the waveform at each point with the "good" version on the
> other channel. They look different enough when something is bad.) If you
> have to do this without a scope, you MIGHT be able to tell which channel
> is bad by looking at the outputs with an AC voltmeter. No AC is
> bad. This technique is nowhere near as reliable as using a scope. Then,
> once you've guessed which channel is bad, start replacing chips one by
> one and testing the board until you get it. I'd start with the Op-Amps,
> because they are the cheapest and most readily available. They are also
> probably the most common failures too. Then, go for the analog switches,
> multipliers and then the DACs, which is roughly the order of their
> availability. Oh yeah, before you do any of that, check your supply
> voltages to the AVG section (+5 and +/- 15, I believe) those regulators
> go bad every so often, too. The +5 to the AVG is different than the +5 to
> the digital section of the board, I believe (the +5 to the AVG is called
> +5V DAC, if I remember correctly.)
>
> Good luck.
>
> Joe

-=               Al Warner batlzone@cyberenet.net                    =-
-= Learn how to install a Cap Kit in your video game's monitor and   =-
-= see a whole lot more on my web page at:                           =-
-=               http://www.cyberenet.net/~batlzone                  =-