Re: Farewell to UT's vectorlist

From: Rod Spade <rodspade_at_paonline.com>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 23:31:00 EST

Neil Bradley wrote:

> I do believe a mailing list is a democracy, not the personal whim of the
> single list maintainer. A mailing list should be set up to serve the
> majority of people that use it, and to be accomodating to make the most
> number of listmembers happy.

That's great if the list members share the burden of maintaining the
list, but if an individual creates and maintains a list as a free
service, then they should be able to establish and enforce whatever
guidelines they wish. After all, they're the ones who have to deal with
the headaches of "owning" a mailing list. If someone doesn't like a
list's rules then they don't have to sign up. Or they can make their
own list - which of course you've done. :-) It's true that a list must
serve the needs of its members, but that is accomplished by people
creating and joining lists that they like, not by preempting someone
else's list on the whim of the majority.