Re: Prom Programmers

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 22:07:10 EST

>I've always wondered what the group members use to program
>proms like 82S123 (? etc) that can be found on non-vector games
>like Galaga and MsPacman etc .... What's a good programmer to use
>for bipolars (my Needhams EMP10 doesn't seem to have this capacity)?
>Is there one unit out there in the marketplace (old or new) that does both
>bipolar proms and older Eproms like 2516, 2716, 2532 etc?

I'm partial to my Modular Circuit Technologies E-MUP. (They're about $500
from JDR Micro, but I got mine as a refurb from someplace for $275.) It
does pretty much all PROMs, EPROMs, and PLDs, plus testing some RAM and TTL
devices. I've used it to burn all the PROMs and PALs for all the
TempestMultigames and SW/ESB games over the years and never had any problems
with it. (knock on wood)

(This is probably something good for the FAQ since it seems to come up a
couple times a year.)

Whatever you get, it's wise to make sure it supports:

82S123
82S126
82S129
82S137
82S141
82S135

Those should keep you in pretty good shape as far as vector PROMs are
concerned.

-Clay