Re: newbie - Battlezone problems.

From: Jon Raiford <raiford_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 08:11:09 EST

FWIW, I got a cabaret BZ that was completely dead w/ no signs of life. The
power supply seemed fine and the board voltages tested good, but one of the
power LED's on the board was blown. There were a couple things wrong with
it, but it wasn't as hopeless as I originally thought..

Although the +5 was +5, I found out while poking around that it was actually
fluctuating quite a bit. The big blue capacitor in the power supply was
dead, so the power supply was sending out AC to the game board. Changing
this cap made the game sort of spring to life. The monitor was still dead
and the game sounds were indistinguishable, but the test mode beeped for me.

I replaced the faulty ram, cleaned the pins on all the edge connectors and
socketed chips real good, replaced the AR2, and tested w/ a different monitor
and voila! BZ lived :) I finally went to shit shack and got a replacement
5v LED and replaced the one that was fried.

I still need to reflow the solder on the interconnects and change out the
connectors on the monitor (they weren't making good contact), but that
is trivial. Well.. *should* be trivial. Its been sitting like this for
several months waiting for me to get back to it :)

Jon