Here's an odd idea...

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 16:31:16 EST

Ok, so this is a little goofy, but what the hell...

I think it's all fine and dandy to eventually get a PCI based vector
generator card going and have a 850MHz Athlon to write a new vector game,
but it still smacks of overkill and/or "cheating" to me somehow. ;-)

So here's Clay's Weird Idea Of The Day in the form of a riddle:

What has nice built in sound capabilities, is available dirt-cheap in vast
numbers, has a decent processor, quite a bit of RAM, hardware multiplier,
easily interfaced I/O, lots of DMA channels, supports battery backed up
memory, and would make for a totally uniform hardware platform?

(OK, so there's probably like 15,000 answers. I suck at riddles.)

A Super Nintendo! I could just build a Vector Generator Cartridge that
passes through the cartridge slot.

So maybe it's a lame idea, but it has some neat points-- kind-of a fun CPU
(65816) to play with, controls are easy, could use the normal video-output
as a debugging display, and could make "new" systems that would just plug
into a cabinet with a vector monitor for under $100 probably. Inherently
cartridge based too...

It's about #34573 on my "take a number" project-list, but maybe someday if I
get to retire early. ;-)

-Clay