Re: Asteroids Multigame RFC...

From: Dave Downin <downin_at_smarty.smart.net>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 21:46:00 EST

> >1) RAM based architecture (so games can be patched on the fly, new
> >graphics loaded, new games written, etc.)

I don't really care much at all about this... I'd probably never use it.

> >2) Non-volatile RAM for high-score/settings saving
>
> As most people have said, this would be neat, but not necessary. Could we
> have the option of an empty socket that can be populated later? (If you
> were just trying to keep costs down.)

Agreed...

> >3) POKEY Chip for Asteroids Deluxe sounds and I/O
>
> A must if it is to truely emulate Ast. Dlx.

Agreed again.

> >4) Analog->Digital convertor for Analog Thrust Controller input
>
> This one I'm all for too. I recently created an adapter to play Lunar
> Lander in my Asteroids Deluxe and I love it. (Although it is backwards...
> need to work on that one...) I ended up adding a 5K POT from Radio Shack
> with a knob on the end to control the thrust. In order not to damage the
> control panel, I just removed the control panel mounting bracket from one
> side and used the now vacant hole in the control panel to mount the POT. It
> fit perfectly, no drilling required! I'm sure it would be the same on a
> normal Asteroids. If you have the option to use an analog thrust control, I
> would say go for it!

I wasn't really too concerned about this one until I saw this solution!
Adding a pot trough one of the mounting holes is an excellent idea... and I
would love to see this be available.

--
Dave Downin (dave@arlo.net)