RE: Asteroids Multigame RFC...

From: Chris Loggans <chris.loggans_at_deltasolutions.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 21:14:57 EST

>1) RAM based architecture (so games can be patched on the fly, new
>graphics loaded, new games written, etc.)

I think this would be a cool idea. I don't know how many new games will be
written, but I would hate to have to remove the multi-game to try something
new if it could have been added easily to the multi-game in the first place.

>2) Non-volatile RAM for high-score/settings saving

As most people have said, this would be neat, but not necessary. Could we
have the option of an empty socket that can be populated later? (If you
were just trying to keep costs down.)

>3) POKEY Chip for Asteroids Deluxe sounds and I/O

A must if it is to truely emulate Ast. Dlx.

>4) Analog->Digital convertor for Analog Thrust Controller input

This one I'm all for too. I recently created an adapter to play Lunar
Lander in my Asteroids Deluxe and I love it. (Although it is backwards...
need to work on that one...) I ended up adding a 5K POT from Radio Shack
with a knob on the end to control the thrust. In order not to damage the
control panel, I just removed the control panel mounting bracket from one
side and used the now vacant hole in the control panel to mount the POT. It
fit perfectly, no drilling required! I'm sure it would be the same on a
normal Asteroids. If you have the option to use an analog thrust control, I
would say go for it!

BTW, If anyone is interested in what this looks like, I've uploaded a
picture here:

http://www.picturebay.com/myimage/8/690646007-200482186-1.jpg

Notice the knob in the upper right corner of the CP? (And the need for a
new CPO too!)

Thanks,
-Chris