Re: Relocatable vector games available

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 11:26:30 EST

>1) There should be a user settable default stored in NVRAM.

You mean like a default game?

>2) Pressing the P1 and P2 buttons should bring up the menu.

Yeah, I was planning on something like that. I had some reason not to use
P1+P2 this time though... Huh. I don't remember why now though. I was
going to use P2+Hyperspace...

>3) The menu should not come up on power up.

This needs to be a setting-- some people prefer it the other way.

>On the TMG, if you set a default, the only way to get to the menu is to
>open
>the machine, flip the test switch and then hit P1+P2. It would be alot
>cleaner if that wasn't necessary.

That was actually an intentional thing. Two main reasons:

1) It's really hard to hold down any buttons on power-up if you turn your
machines on an off from the back of the cabinet or from some other location
away from the cab.

2) If you're running the machine on location you might not want some
smart-ass that knows the multigame to be able to get at the menu without
having internal access to the machine.

>Also, If you want to have a "secure" mode
>(no menu available), perhaps you could then look at the test switch.

Yeah... All these are actually easier on this one now because I have NVSRAM
for settings. On the Tempest Multigame I found a little patch of unused
EAROM that I used for Vector Breakout highscore and boot mode, so having too
many options was getting a little cramped. I've got more space on the new
one.

>An alterantive to a defaut setting is just always bring up the last played
>game on power up.

That's actually what the MultiJAMMA does...

>And, of course, we all anxiously await the new game that you'll include,
>Asteroids Lander Deluxe.
>Either that, or vector Pong. :)

:-) Ohhhh, see, I already started an exciting new game called "hit a button
when the little box appears on the screen". The suspense is mind-bending.
As a matter of fact, the neighbor's kid has been anxiously awaiting the
little box to appear since Tuesday. Of course, I told him the machine pays
him $5 if he does it at *exactly* the time the box appears... If he lasts
through Friday I'll plug the machine in and let him play asteroids for a
while...

-Clay