Re: Troubleshooting a 19K6100 series monitor

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 21:02:51 EST

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:14:58 -0800, you wrote:

>proper voltages going it. The only problem I see is - I am getting zero
>voltage going into the Focus assembley. For a while it was working but
>then it shut itself off. I'm trying to figure out what is causing the
>voltage go out. Could it be something on the neckboard that is causing
>this?

        Where exactly are you measuring the focus voltage at? There's really
nothing on the neck board that's connected to the screen voltage; the wire,
IIRC, goes straight from P901 to the CRT socket. If you're developing
5.7KV at the appropriate pin on P901, and you do have your 19.5KV beam
voltage up at the anode cup on the CRT, there really shouldn't be anything
preventing the focus voltage from getting to the CRT unless you either have
a broken wire or a bad CRT socket...

>I'm not yet familiar enough with this monitor to know why the spot
>killer would stay off and yet the focus assembly would get no voltage.

        All the spot-killer does, in a nutshell, is kill the Z outputs if the X
and Y inputs don't keep moving around. It's hooked into the X and Y
deflection amplifiers so that, if either of the deflection amps quits
driving current through the deflection coils, either Q801 or Q802 starts
conducting, which turns on Q800, which cuts off Q503 on the neck board,
which kills the three color Z amplifier circuits and shuts off the beams.
It's actually got nothing to do with the focus voltage, which is developed
in the HV cage and fed straight to the tube.

When they took the fourth amendment, I said nothing because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the sixth amendment, I said nothing because I hadn't committed a crime.
When they took the second amendment, I said nothing because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the first amendment, and I can't say anything about it.