Amplifone HV Trans question...

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 10:18:11 EDT

Hi all,
   I have disected my dead WinTron HV transformer just to see what the hell is in there.
Well it is pretty straightforward. Looks like they use a capacitor/diode multiplier in
there to get the anode voltage off the focus winding. I didn't think most HV transformers
did this but I really don't know much about flyback type transformers.
   Im talking to some manufacturing companies about getting this remade (cheaper?).
Hopefully I can make more progress than the others that tried to get this beast copied.
Anyway, I don't want to send the WinTron out to the manufacturers because I fear I will
not get it back. So, Im documenting it all myself. Im about to unwind and count all the
windings. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find out the wire guages, I don't
have any references here and a few are extremely thin (~36 guage?)
  Also, if anyone has any EM experience, Im trying to figure out the core type. Is there
any way to find out the core type after the fact like this?

thanks for any input...
  jess