G08 'snap'ing

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 20:27:28 EDT

Friday night I turned on my Star Trek, and immediately three 'snapping'
sounds came from it. It sounded like a high voltage snap from the
moitor. The start-up music was playing fine, but the screen blanked at each
'snap', with colors across it looking more like a raster monitor than a
vector.

Other than this, I really don't know of sure the sound was from the
monitor. I suppose something in the power supply might cause the distortion
on the monitor.

I stared at the machine for a second or two as it was now working fine,
wondering what to do. It snaped one more time, the monitor blanked, and I
shut her down. Since I had company over, I didn't look at it immediately.

When I took a look inside tonight, everthing looks normal, no fresh burn
marks. I just ran her for about a half hour, and it didn't snap once.

I'm at a bit of a loss, and not sure what to do next. Any ideas what this
might be ?

-Chris