Re: Red Baron probs....

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_directlink.net>
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 00:09:08 EDT

> Quick RB questions.....

There are NO quick RB questions!
I threw mine in the garbage; well it didn't really fit (cockpit
version), but I gave it away for $150... I hate that game (and BZ)
(just read that last post! (but some people still like those
double wipes, go figure)).

Rant off.

> In Diagnostics mode there are 2 numbers to the left
> 9 X

9 means the chip at C0 is bad (must be the EAROM because it
says you have to erase it after replacement).

If you don't have it, the sequence is ctrl-alt-del, oh, sorry,
wrong platform. The sequence is: start & fire simultaneously
while in test mode. Should display "ERASING" if it got your
instruction.

This may very well be cracked solder joints on the mathbox
interconnect cable. Resolder them.

> You can watch X count up from 1 to 6.

1 = A3 or E3
2 = E1
3 = F/H1
4 = J1
5 = K1
6 = L/M1

For completeness:

0 = B/C3 or F/H3
7 = N1
8 = P1
9 = C0 (see above)

> What does that mean?

ROM problems!

Q: Can all of these ROMs really be bad??? or is it a bad '244/'245?
A: Yes, they can ALL be bad!

Well, sort of. The sockets really suck. I found most ROM errors
on the Atari AVG board can be cleared up (for a short time), by
"adjusting" the vertical position of the device in the socket.

If it's your game and you're a purist, I'd replace the sockets
w/ machined pin sockets.

If you're not a purist, burn a single rom (should fit in a 27128)
and install a single socket for it.

Finally, if you want to test your roms, RB has two versions.
I don't believe the checksum page (which if I recall is yours anyway)
has both versions. If your board's roms aren't listed, search the
archives for a post from me where I listed the values.

> My main problem is no objects. I have Text & propeller but nothing else.
> I've done the ribbon cable & swapped the bit slicers & PROMs so I'm
> getting down to the point of actually t-shooting now....

This may very well be a problem with the v-rom sockets as stated
above for the 6502's roms. You can always pull them and see if the
self test notices.

Good luck; you'll need it.

-Mark