Amplifone Def. Bd. Rebuilding

From: Steven Winslow <winslow_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 15:44:40 EST

Hello All!

I've got a bunch of Amplifone Deflection boards that work but all display
graphics that are a bit shaky in particular areas of the screen - depending
on the deflection board tested.

I know for certain that the problems are with the Deflection board(s) and
not the HV because I do have one good working (super solid and stable
graphics) deflection board (Thanks Jon!) and my HV's have all been
completely rebuilt (per the excellent doc online - Thanks Michael!) with a
Wintron transformer, BU406D, 105 degree caps, etc.

I would really like to rebuild all of my deflection boards to the extent
that I have rebuilt the HV's - with all modern components and any
modifications that have evolved over the years. But I can't seem to find
any information on this process - so here's the questions:

1. Does anyone have a list of components that should be replaced on a
working board to help ensure long life and stable graphics ?

2. Is there any recommended modifications or component upgrades that have
proven to be better than the originals?

3. What is the proper setting of the two 10K pots at R1/R2 and R24/R25 that
look like Atari recommended field fixes?

4. I assume that I should stomp on all the 0 ohm resistors (ala HV bd.) and
replace with wire jumpers? W1 through W10.

5. Is there a document available or in progress detailing this upgrade
process ? If not, I'd be willing to help compile information for documenting.

I love all my vector games and want to keep them around running happily for
a long time. Now that all of my Amplifone HV's are rebuilt and solid the
only weak link is the deflection boards. Plus, it's really hard shooting
Imperial Walkers or avoiding Pyroids when the screen is unstable!!

I can put up pictures of screen shots if necessary.

Thanks for everyones input....

Regards,

Steven Winslow