Re: Re: Finally: Cosmic Chasm

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_directlink.net>
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 11:30:51 EST

>Hmm...two shadows at the bottom I assume must be where the original
>transformers were...

Correct. (look on the bright side, at least it was easy to
get out of the cabinet!)

>Other than being
>dirty, things look ok (no burned or missing components that I could see). I
>take in the board in the upper left is the audio amp, and the rest is just
>power supplies.

Correct. It looks pretty good to me. Every one I've seen looks dirty.

>Is there anywhere I can find info on these beasts?
>I do have a copy of the Cosmic Chasm manual/schematics and field fixes.

Yes, and that's where. If you look closely in the manual, it has
detailed information on the power supply sections.
- One is a regular cine power supply
- One is a regular cine power supply w/ the +5 section depopulated.
- One is the audio amp
- One is an external linear regulator

>Notes about the monitor:
>
>First of all, what the hell is this thing called

Dunno.

>Also, does the G08-105/CC0/005/whatever-it's-called even use an input
>protection board like the standard G08, or is the input protection board
>also added into the circuitry?

Yes; at least mine does.

>Regardless, does this change the level of inputs for the monitor? David
>Fish said that he is testing Cosmic Chasm on a regular monitor, and he is
>getting retrace because the Standard G08 takes inputs from 0VDC (off) to
>4VDC (full brightness), and Cosmic Chasm is only going as low as 0.7VDC
>(meaning that if the G08-105 is NOT showing retrace, possibly it is ignoring
>inputs less than 1VDC?).

The board may very well reduce the levels, as I'm sure it adds some
attenuation. However, if you look closely in the manual, it specifies
alternate values for resistors on the game board, depending on which
monitor is installed in the cabinet. It was designed to work with a
WG as well as the G08.

-Mark

P.S. I haven't had time to write you, but I could use a G80
extender (built or not). LMK details privately. Thx.