Re: Cedar Point

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 09:44:14 EST

> They do have old-timers, but the only reason that they still have
> those games is that everything else was/is leased and therefore
> got updated from season-to-season. At some point when those
> get to be too much work for them to fix, they will probably
> get crushed, since there is no real budget to keep them in good repair.

That is really sad.

> The Space Wars met that fate a few years ago. The Star Castle
> will probably be next (tube fade), then the Star Hawk (there is only
> one) or the Lunar Lander (which was dead most of last season due
> to a monitor problem). The Speed Freaks (there are two) and the
> Tail Gunner 2 are surprising everyone by running very reliably, so they
> will probably last a few more seasons (Tail Gunner 2 and Red Baron S/D
> had joystick problems last season). To the best of my knowledge, nothing

I guess the Vectorbeam monitor really is better :-)

> got crushed this winter. Don't worry, I'm doing the best I can to pursuade
> those guys not to destroy anything. In the past they've never sold anything
> because (I suspect) of the accounting implications of selling something
> which according to their asset management system has zero salvage
> value. Like the Chuck E. Cheese policy, as I understand it.

If they have zero value, there should be someone you can "pursuade"
to let them go away or to let you "crush" them :-) Perhaps the employees
have an option, but they may not appreciate those old games.

> So, go before it's too late. Maybe sent them an e-mail urging them
> to keep the classics? Send it to the attention of the Merchandising
> Director.

So how is it you know so much about their operations?
There are only a few reasons I go there, and one of them actually is the
old games in the main arcade - it's like dropping in on an old friend.
I like the coasters and scenery too.

--
<pre>
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.