Re: How many cabinets can you fit...

From: Alex Yeckley <ayeckley_at_neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 18:15:29 EST

> Was there a non-vectorbeam Star Hawk? My last visit to Cedar Point I saw
> two fully functioning Star Hawks. I think it's nice that there are still
> some of these games out there for public play. BTW, they had Star Castle
> as well, and the previous visit they had Space War. Must have an old-timer
> working there.

They do have old-timers, but the only reason that they still have
those games is that everything else was/is leased and therefore
got updated from season-to-season. At some point when those
get to be too much work for them to fix, they will probably
get crushed, since there is no real budget to keep them in good repair.

The Space Wars met that fate a few years ago. The Star Castle
will probably be next (tube fade), then the Star Hawk (there is only
one) or the Lunar Lander (which was dead most of last season due
to a monitor problem). The Speed Freaks (there are two) and the
Tail Gunner 2 are surprising everyone by running very reliably, so they
will probably last a few more seasons (Tail Gunner 2 and Red Baron S/D
had joystick problems last season). To the best of my knowledge, nothing
got crushed this winter. Don't worry, I'm doing the best I can to pursuade
those guys not to destroy anything. In the past they've never sold anything
because (I suspect) of the accounting implications of selling something
which according to their asset management system has zero salvage
value. Like the Chuck E. Cheese policy, as I understand it.

So, go before it's too late. Maybe sent them an e-mail urging them
to keep the classics? Send it to the attention of the Merchandising
Director.

Alex
http://www.elektronforge.com
ayeckley@elektronforge.com