Re: washing and drying boards?

From: peter jones <highwayman2000_at_mail.ru>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 12:02:33 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: "Magiera, Joe (AIT)" <jm4593@sbc.com>
To: "Vector (E-mail)" <vectorlist@synthcom.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:45:24 -0500
Subject: VECTOR: washing and drying boards?

> Sorry for slightly off topic, but I suspect the people here (that might not
> otherwise read RGVAC) are a bit more techy and experienced than those on
> RGVAC.
>
> Any general consensus on washing boards in dishwashers? Remove socketed
> chips or not? Just wash with water, or add some kind of soap?
>
> Any opinions on drying? I live in Chicago, so I can't just let them "air
> dry in the warm sun" (especially this time of year). What oven drying
> tricks do you guys use?
>
> We just got a new dishwasher and I want to try it out! ;^)
>
> Joe
>
> joe.magiera@ameritech.com

IF this is not a joke, I wash pcb's like this:

take a mug, put 1/2inch of washing-up liquid in it.
top-up with boiling water from the kettle,and stir.

pour it over the pcb, and work it in with a soft bristle paint-brush.

rinse under fast running water (the tap :) ) until there is no washing-up liquid left on the pcb.

shake-off all excess water and dry with a fan-heater or hair-dryer.

3 important points.

1. do-not wash coils, any coils/transformers must be removed from the pcb first.
2. it's not important how you wash it, but you must dry it FAST, to avoid corrosion from setting in.
3. if there is flux on the pcb, it will turn white after washing.
this is not important but it looks nasty.

about removing chips.
remove the socketed chips before washing, clean the pins on the chips with a fiberglass pencil.

have-fun.