RE: G08-105, WG6400

From: Fish, David <David.Fish_at_axcelis.com>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 13:24:30 EST

Mark Jenison wrote:

> I was one of the people who asked if David Fish could figure
> out how to run Cosmic Chasm on a G08-003, because my Cosmic
> Chasm did not come with a G08-105 monitor. Though I have not
> seen the results of this, David's comment about "crappy slew
> rate" leads me to believe the display will not be optimal.

 I used the term 'crappy' because the the vectors on my G08
while running CC were sloppy looking and curved in places where
the should be straight. Some of the lines looked slightly out
of place and endpoints didn't line up in places. These same vectors
looked great on a XY scope. I tried recapping the monitor, even
the very large 6800uF caps, and it made no difference. A second
monitor yielded the same results.

> Has the same been done for the WG6400, or is that one
> entirely different from the WG6100?

Schematics exist for the 6400. There's also a rather long text
file describing the component differences between the two.

http://www.gamearchive.com/video/manufacturer/atari/vector/monitors/wg_color
/WG6400.txt

I've recently been toying with the idea of creating a 'Franken-monitor'
out of a G08 tube/yoke and Hi-V unit (very reliable) and a modified
WG 6100 deflection board. It's fairly easy to make a 6100 deflection
board act like a 6400 board. The unknown bit of information which would/may
make this a wasted effort is the inductance of the real K6400 yoke vs. the
inductance of a G08's. I would still make for an interesting experiment.

Dave