Re: RFI shields. Was: Star Wars power

From: Kev <mowerman_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 17:52:59 EDT

When I moved into my house about a year ago I must have pissed the cable
people off (I told them I wasn't paying for a service tech to come in my
house just because they changed the billing info into my name). Shortly
after that I was given a notice that my house was guilty of "RF Leakage" and
that they would need to inspect my house so I did a bit of research on RF
leakage. The FCC places limitations on Cable companies on the amount of RF
leakage that they may have. This limitation is to prevent inteference with
air traffic communications. Cable companies apparently are required to do a
leakage sweep quarterly & may be done by airplane, vehical mounted radar or
simply by measuring point to point losses.

In my case I told the cable company to send me a copy of the "leakage
report" filed with the FCC & I would be happy to let them in. Never heard
another word.

But this does raise an interesting concern, what happens if I'm having a
video party with all the games & pins rocking when the RF leakage police fly
over my house?

Kev