Re: RFI shields. Was: Star Wars power

From: Brad Gass <bradg_at_mnns.com>
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 18:36:00 EDT

All that usually happens in that case is that the FCC notifies the local
cable company(s) about it, and they are then required to do a follow-up
test and file the results with a report to prove the problem either no
longer exists or was fixed. Unless of course it's a massive emissions
source, in which they tend to get on the stick and fix it pretty quickly.
But, for that to happen, we're talking being right under a landing flight
pattern less than a mile from a major metro airport with a six foot Tesla
coil in your back yard :)

In the case of a vid party, or even an extended weekend party, you'll long
since had the bulk of your cabinets turned off before anyone gets around
to a "drive by" check. Even then, generally speaking, schools and
hosiptals (yes, hospitals - seen it personally) tend to be the leaky
commercial offenders, and "Radio Shack Specials" for home installs usually
the worst offenders. Think plier-crimped F-connectors, using RG59 for
550MHz or higher CATV distribution. Ick.

Emissions are a real fuzzy beast to deal with, lab and real world. Been
there, done that, hated it. Nothing to worry about until you get a letter
from the FCC itself ;)

Brad