Omega Race questions (and WTB)

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 01:42:53 EDT

Just picked up an Omega Race upright this weekend. (Semi functional-- yet
another project for my next lifetime or something. ;-)

I'm assuming the back edge and part of the bottom got a little wet at some
point, but what what in the hell is that cabinet made out of? Compressed
cat fur? Hemp? It sure as hell doesn't appear to be any remote relative of
wood!

(For those of you that have never seen it, when this stuff starts to
separate its... well... "fluffy". Soft. Like fur. Weird.)

I doubt it'd be damaged any further by me, but I'm inclined to try to
re-stabilize it. Anyone ever try this? I'm thinking of something like
saturating the "fur" with diluted Elmers wood-glue, or maybe some kind of
thin epoxy, and then clamping it down between some 1"x4"s with some C-clamps
or something. Any suggestions?

Other than a couple of furry edges it's in nice shape. Inside there appears
to be left and right bezel artwork, is there supposed to be a back piece?
(If so, anyone have one they want to sell?)

Did any Omega Race cabinets have t-molding on them? (This appears to just
have the compressed cat fur formed and painted-- looks original to me.)

Thanks,
-Clay