Re: Amplifone question

From: peter jones <highwayman2000_at_mail.ru>
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 00:53:26 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter@ni.net>
To: vectorlist@synthcom.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:58:33 -0700
Subject: VECTOR: Amplifone question

> I got another Amplifone monitor working today. It was looking really
> good and I was very happy with it. Unfortunately, while I was adjusting
> the brightness the picture all of a sudden went blank and then the 7824
> regulator blew up with a big bang. I replaced the 7824 and it fried
> again. I'm pretty sure it's that stupid mystery can because I've had
> this problem before. I checked some of the components in the
> overvoltage protection circuit.
>
> I just have a few basic questions.
>
> 1) Is it common for the magnetic correction can to go bad.
> 2) Is there a way of testing it to verify that it's bad. Would it be
> stupid to do a simple ohm test to verify there's no short?
> 3) Is there any hope of being able to get the part replaced without
> pulling it off another HV board?
>
> Thanks.

IF you are talking about a magnetic choke then it will meter short-circuit.

if you can get someone with a known good one to meter it with an inductance-meter then you can get a replacment,they are not custom parts.

BUT it is probably fine, i would check the line-output transister and any diodes near it.
(yes, i know it dont use flyback, but it is what any tv engineer would call it.)