Amplifone question

From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter_at_ni.net>
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 23:58:33 EDT

I got another Amplifone monitor working today. It was looking really
good and I was very happy with it. Unfortunately, while I was adjusting
the brightness the picture all of a sudden went blank and then the 7824
regulator blew up with a big bang. I replaced the 7824 and it fried
again. I'm pretty sure it's that stupid mystery can because I've had
this problem before. I checked some of the components in the
overvoltage protection circuit.

I just have a few basic questions.

1) Is it common for the magnetic correction can to go bad.
2) Is there a way of testing it to verify that it's bad. Would it be
stupid to do a simple ohm test to verify there's no short?
3) Is there any hope of being able to get the part replaced without
pulling it off another HV board?

Thanks.

Matt