Re: Amplifone question

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 00:43:21 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/2001 12:01:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rossiter@ni.net writes:

<< I just have a few basic questions.

 1) Is it common for the magnetic correction can to go bad.
 2) Is there a way of testing it to verify that it's bad. Would it be
 stupid to do a simple ohm test to verify there's no short?
 3) Is there any hope of being able to get the part replaced without
 pulling it off another HV board? >>

I'm not sure if anybody has found an MCI replacement; but I thought somebody
had a line on some?? Jess maybey???
These things can (no pun intended) fail, ESPECIALLY if the 5w 50 ohm
resistors are mounted too close. Check the MCI case for the slightest warping
or damage. Make sure you read the section of my faq about "the red mystery
can", Zonn added a really good explanation of MCI theory.

I think I remember seeing a variance in ohms of a bad MCI when compared to a
working one. HOWEVER, I know the bad one did NOT show a short; I even think
it ohmed out higher than the working one...go figure...

Also, you may want to make sure you're using the 7824 and 7924 CV (1.5 amps)
 instead of the original 1 amp ones.

BTW, I'm getting some e-mails from the Amplifone faq from people who are
looking for BU406D's. Does anybody have a supplier that has any??

Thanks,
MK