Re: XY proto Yoke dilema

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 02:33:08 EDT

OK, my two cents worth.

The yoke should be matched to the tube, otherwise you end up with all
kinds of pincushion problems.

It is critical, for a vector yoke, that the inductance be close to the
same in both windings. Further, it can't be more than about 2 mH unless
you want to handle some high voltages. I doubt your amplifier circuit
will drive over 1 mH without blowing output transistors. Check out the
secondary breakdown specs on your transistors.

A TV flyback may have usable inductance in the horizontal coils, but is
usually WAY too high in the vertical coils.

The yoke I was looking at also fits a 29.1 mm neck. I was never able to
find a spec on the CRT though (A48AAB37X RCA CRT or equiv.).

Wintron does claim not only to be able to make custom yokes wound for
custom impedances, but to also be able to match them to a particular
tube.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just be sure you know what you're
getting yourself in to.