Fwd: B&W vectors "sparkle" after cap kit

From: Anthony Ramos <aramos_at_hyperreal.org>
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 16:33:44 EDT

(Background: Over the course of a week, my Battlezone Cabaret
monitor's high voltage decreased to nothing, then blew F102.
Replacing the fuse restored HV, but the cycle repeated.
Vectorlist suggested trying a cap kit before replacing the
hard-to-find HV diode.)

By this time I got back around to this game, the screen was
blooming badly. Installed the kit and fired it back up. The
blooming stayed for a few minutes, then there was a
static-electricity *snap* as the display instantly pulled back
to the correct size.

Now there is a symptom I've never seen before: a dense
light-and-dark pattern races along the vectors, giving them a
sparkling or twinkling effect.

I'm sure that it has to do with the kit; this is surely
capacitor-related. Specifically, the kit replaces a 630V-rated
cap with a 250V cap, which surprised me.

What do you-all think is going on here?

-Anthony R.