Re: Covering burn in (was RE: Picture tube re-builder?)

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 15:18:02 EDT

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Jenison Mark-QA3578 wrote:

> I don't know if it was a standard thing, but on a few G08's that I've come
> across, they've had a tinted plastic overlay which was form fitted to the
> front of the picture tube. The tint masked phospher burn, and gave the
> vectors a more aesthetically pleasing look.

G08's weren't normally tinted. I needed to replace the front glass
(plastic) on my Star Trek (asteroids conversion). Since the Asteroids cab
was set up for the big old glass Atari used, I used two pieces of plexi. A
tinted underneath, then the cardboard bezel, then a clear piece. Looks
great.

I actually have a decent screen-shot online:
http://www.westnet.com/~chris/arcade/MyBasement/StarTrek.jpg
http://www.westnet.com/~chris/arcade/MyBasement/StarTrek2.jpg