Re: Covering burn in (was RE: Picture tube re-builder?)

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 21:27:42 EDT

>I don't know if it was a standard thing, but on a few G08's that I've come
>across, they've had a tinted plastic overlay which was form fitted to the
>front of the picture tube. The tint masked phospher burn, and gave the
>vectors a more aesthetically pleasing look.

Hmmmm. Sounds like a job for home grown vacuum-forming equipment to me!
Might not take much-- take a mould of the front face of a 19" tube, cast
some plaster, groove some air-channels, and hook up a decent show-vac...
Then find a plastic (thin plexi?) with the tint you want, heat it in an over
so it's pliable, plop it on the jig and hit the vacuum. I don't think you'd
need much suction since the shape is really simple (and the plastic's thin).

Alternatively you might be able to use the glass face from an old tube and
heat it up such that it could be pressed *into* a taunt sheet of the plastic
(if it was thin enough) accomplishing the same thing.

Or, maybe better yet-- hold the plastic in a jig, and heat up the plastic
with an industrial shrink-wrap gun (or some tubes/diffuser hooked up to
one). Then have a (cold and dead) monitor tube that you press into the
plastic to form it. Added benefit is that the cold tube would chill the
plastic and make it easier to remove that way to boot.

Be fun to try...

-Clay