Re: Covering burn in (was RE: Picture tube re-builder?)

From: <mccullar_at_flash.net>
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 18:16:51 EDT

All this talk about breaking picture tubes reminds me of my days in
Scouting. One of the first merit badges I earned was Home Repairs. Right
up my alley; Dad and I fixed stuff around the house all the time. The
requirements gave you plenty of options... they'd list 30 or so, then say
"Do any 18 of the following," or some such. Some of it was simple, like
"Solder two wires together" or "Repair a leaky faucet." Others were much
tougher: "Waterproof a basement wall." Well, we didn't have a basement.
That's why they gave you so many options.

Anyway, we really didn't have 18 busted things around the place, so I ended
up having to BREAK THINGS in order to fix them. (They should have called
the badge "Home Wrecking") I remember walking into the kitchen with a
hammer and asking, "Mom, do you have any old dinner plates you don't want
anymore?"

Those old china plates are tougher than they look! I dropped them onto the
floor in the garage, barely chipping them. I tried throwing them. Finally
I jammed them into a workshop vise and busting them with a hammer. Mission
accomplished, although you can't glue them back together until you crawl
underneath some filthy parts cabinets to fish out all the broken pieces of
china that flew under them.

Ah, the things I did for my Eagle badge! :)

No joke -- I really had an _Omega Race_ in the garage at the same time I had
my troop over to work on my Eagle project. "Dang it, Dan, first we work,
then we play the games!"

Matt J. McCullar