Re: Please tell me something other than a shot tube.

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 12:46:36 EDT

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Rodger Boots wrote:

> There's a possibility that you might have a neck board or video output problem,
> possibly a blown transistor or a cracked circuit or bad connector or something.
> You don't have any blue video signal to the tube.

Thanks -- and to Christopher Newnan who replied privately.

I probably should have slept on it before posting, but I was somewhat upset.
Of course, there were obvious things missing from my list of what I checked,
because I assumed that after unplugging one monitor and trading it for
another, the machine would still be the same.

Right after I went to bed, it hit me -- the *!@#! game board !

The resistors near the blue test point are chared and split open. I'm
guessing that's the problem.

The symptoms threw me somewhat. I expect if the blue Z amp was gone, there
would just be no blue. The blue dot made me think the tube was bad. That and
not thinking I suppose.

In retrospect, it's obvious what happened. When I first put the Amplifone in
a few days ago and first powered it up, there was no picture because the
connector for the AVG was not on all the way. It must have been cocked just
right and shorted the blue pins.

So here's an Important Safety Tip: Make sure all edge connectors are on
tight.

Thanks for listening and calming me down !

-Chris