Re: Zektor in action

From: Neil Bradley <nb_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 15:02:09 EDT

> How about that raster game that came out a couple of years ago which
> had a pseudo vector look and feel to it? Battle-Girl was the name.

How could I *NOT* know about Battlegirl? I picked it up a couple of years
ago. Good game, though it does have its flaws.

> That would be a cool starting point,

I've been working on my own vector game since around March. It wasn't
until early July that I finally got a game design that I thought was both
worthwhile and playable. Designing an arcade game just in concept is a LOT
harder than it seems on the surface! I only started code in the early part
of July, though the ZVG encoder is done (as evidenced by the still screens
that were being shown on the classic gaming video).

> although what exactly is the
> limit of vectors drawn on the screen at any one point?

We'll know when I get ahold of the ZVG first hand! ;-) Hopefully really
soon. Zonn and I need to finish off the parallel port code. I've got it
finished on the PC side of things but it's not fully debugged yet. Zonn
has written the firmware, but it isn't debugged, either.

IIRC, Zonn mentioned it'd have the ability to drive any monitor faster
than it could go anyway, so the limitations won't be the ZVG, but rather
the monitors. I think we rewrote/redesigned the language/driver/firmware
about 4 times since its inception to make it faster and faster. We already
know that we can run things like Major Havoc at a noticeably higher frame
rate than the Atari PCBs could do with discrete hardware (Major Havoc at
the breakout screen is a good example).

-->Neil