_Asteroids Deluxe_ T-shooting data

From: mccullar <mccullar_at_flash.net>
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 00:06:22 EDT

I just had a wild one and thought I'd pass this on to everybody. Might save someone some grief.

_Asteroids Deluxe_ motherboard. Plays great and passes self-test right off the bat, no problem.

However: After playing the game for a few minutes, when you try to enter self-test, the board crashes. I get a series of tones. Turn game off for a few minutes, and everything returns to normal. Sometimes you can enter self-test from a cold start, sometimes you cannot. When you can enter it, everything passes.

Turned out that I had one or more heat-sensitive 2114 RAM chips in the vector circuitry!!!!! I installed sockets beneath all the RAMs and substituting new RAMs eliminated the problem totally... even passing the "heat & beat" test. Now I can enter self-test at any time with no trouble at all. Whew!

Matt J. McCullar
Arlington, TX