Re: Replacement 19" Amplifone tube?

From: Jon Raiford <raiford_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 15:08:58 EST

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by changing out the monitors? Are you trying to be able to use a medium res Amplifone? If so, I think Noel's conclusion is spot on. The tube you ordered will not increase the resolution for you, although it may reduce a little flicker. It sounds like what you want to do is to find yourself a higher resolution tube. If it is a 90 degrees tube, you should use the Amplifone yoke. If its a 100 degrees tube, you should use the WG6100 yoke. It is not possible to converge a 100 degrees tube with a 90 degrees yoke because the yoke is too small to reach the sweet spot. It needs to sit closer to the front of the tube than it the yoke will allow. I will trade a WG6100 yoke for an Amplifone yoke any day. The picture on an Amplifone tube is so much better that its well worth swapping yokes and buying a new tube.

I believe the end cap that comes with the tube you ordered is the less common one that is used with the WG6100. If you do intend to use that tube, you will need to change the end cap. If you are really adventurous, you could actually go without the end cap, although I wouldn't recommend it. They are common enough that it should be easy enough to obtain. Besides, Noel already offered you a freebie.

As far as your conversion board question.. You will need to have some kind of conversion board so the pinouts line up correctly. You can bypass the bowing correction on the conversion board if you'd like, but you will want the rest of it. All of this assumes you are trying to use a 90 degrees tube (Amplifone). If you will be using a 100 degrees tube (the one you ordered), you will still need the bowing correction circuit. Likewise, Gravitar, Black Widow, and Space Duel may look slightly bowed in when using an Amplifone tube, although I haven't tried this before.

I should also mention that I suggest not swapping the purity rings when swapping tubes between monitors. They are made for the design of the tube, not for compatibility with the yoke. Also, when replacing the end cap, it is very easy to break the end cap when removing it from a tube. Be careful if you want to reuse it (I'm sure a few people on this list would like a WG6100 compatible end cap).

Jon

I hope nobody noticed that my last email was clearly written before actually carefully reading this entire thread :(