Re: WG 6100 cap replacements

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 13:09:38 EST

Hey, am I the only capacitor nut here? (going back under a rock)...

Well, if you want to test the capacitor you can compare the AC in with the
DC out and the ripple present under a steady load.

Or you can use an ESR meter, or you can solder a second capacitor ACROSS
the suspect to see if you get better filtering.
This is ONLY done for primary supplies, and must NOT be done for caps that
are used as pass, timing, etc. unless you understand the effects your
actions. So if you think the cap is suspect grab a cap with the same or
less capacity and measure the AC ripple before and after you bridge the
second one in. If it drops dramatically - like from 1.0VAC to 0.3VAC, then
I would suspect the cap is bad. A small change is to be expected, say
0.7VAC to 0.5VAC if you double the capacity...

Now would someone else like to do the math?

John :-#)#