One last monitor problem

From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter_at_ni.net>
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 00:41:53 EST

Ok. This one is difficult to pin down, so I hope that maybe someone has
seen this before and has fixed it.

My Star Wars is working great now. I can focus and everything. The
only thing is, when the screen gets really bright - for example when you
get hit or especially when the death star blows up - the screen
stretches. At the last, white explosion of the Death Star - It
stretches REALLY BIG. It didn't do that before.

So.... In trying to isolate the problem here's the steps I have
taken.....

1) Swapped the amplifone HV board with another one that works fine.
Hmmm... same problem
2) Swapped the amplifone deflection board with another one that works
fine. Hmmm same problem
3) Hooked up the X and Y outputs to an oscilloscope - Screen Doesn't
scretch. It's fine - so it can't be the AVG board
4) Hooked up a WG K6100 - Screen doesn't stretch. -- Hmmmmm. the yoke
maybe?
5) Swapped the WG k6100 yoke with the Star Wars yoke. Hmmm. Not the
yoke.

I really can't figure this problem out. It can't be the tube. It's new
- but I'll run it through the tube tester anyway.

What could it be? My Star Wars started doing this after the HV went
dead.

My two choices seem to be 1) Something weird with the tube, which I
doubt. 2) Or both Amplifone HV boards have the same problem.

Ideas anyone? I think I've seen this problem before on another star
wars game, but I never found out what it was.

Thanks!

Matt