Re: Get Scott's high score upgrade

From: Scott Brasington <arcade_at_brasington.org>
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 09:12:02 EST

Thanks for the praise.

I found two places that compared against the score. One at 30K
and one at 35K. So I did extend those checks to insure it was
checking against 0030K/0035K and not just xx30K/xx35K. Seemed like
the right thing to do. Now if you roll it over 9,999,990 it will
revert back to easy ;-)

If I recall, the game has a counter which forces the first few
saucers (4 or 5?) to be large, then uses sort of a random function
until it reaches 35K, at which point all saucers are small.
Seems like the 30K check was also related to saucers, maybe if
they are harder? (Or possibly I got the 30K and 35K backwards).
Neil you know?

I think in my childhood I rolled the game to 100K a few times.
I always got bored "hunting", so I would just continue to shoot
my way through racks. I remember the people that would always
try and die so that there score was the maximum 99,990, keeping
in mind that when you crash into an asteroid you still get those
points.

For testing, I used a patched version that if I held certain buttons
at the time I started a game, it would start my game at 98000 (for
example).

As for the header update, I contine to get samples and quotes
from different manuf. So I will be able to produce it will a
much better header, I just still need to evaluate the cost/quality
trade off as I'll probably have to purchase 1000 of them.
Most are 18mil gold round machined pins - nice!

-Scott