Re: Get Scott's high score upgrade

From: Neil Bradley <neil_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 00:05:30 EST

> checking against 0030K/0035K and not just xx30K/xx35K. Seemed like
> the right thing to do. Now if you roll it over 9,999,990 it will
> revert back to easy ;-)

If I roll it over to 9,999,990, then I'll check myself in to the hospital
for carpal tunnel syndrome.

> If I recall, the game has a counter which forces the first few
> saucers (4 or 5?) to be large, then uses sort of a random function
> until it reaches 35K, at which point all saucers are small.
> Seems like the 30K check was also related to saucers, maybe if
> they are harder? (Or possibly I got the 30K and 35K backwards).
> Neil you know?

The 30K check does two things - it reduces the time between saucers
showing up and increases the accuracy of the shot. The calculation doesn't
take in to account velocity (no code space!) but still nails the hell out
of you.

> my way through racks. I remember the people that would always
> try and die so that there score was the maximum 99,990, keeping
> in mind that when you crash into an asteroid you still get those
> points.

I'm used to doing this and almost did!

> For testing, I used a patched version that if I held certain buttons
> at the time I started a game, it would start my game at 98000 (for
> example).

Speaking of that, how about some additional features now that you have the
code space? It might make the upgrade a bit more inviting to those
wavering. High score is nice, but features are even better. How about the
ability to adjust:

* Difficulty. Change the score at which the little saucers come out.
* # Of ships
* Scores of each of the various objects in the game
* Additional shots (4 shots just 'aint enough!)
* Perhaps gravitational attraction of the ship to the rocks
* Language selection

 Might be something to consider.

> As for the header update, I contine to get samples and quotes from
> different manuf. So I will be able to produce it will a much better
> header, I just still need to evaluate the cost/quality trade off as
> I'll probably have to purchase 1000 of them. Most are 18mil gold
> round machined pins - nice!

And best of all, they'll be around for a zillion years and still make good
connections.

-->Neil